YABBA Book Awards
The Department of Education and Training has partnered with the Young Australian Best Book Awards (YABBA) to provide FREE membership for 2017 for all Primary Schools in Victoria. This initiative complements the Premier’s Reading Challenge further inspiring children and young people to read more books.
The YABBA Awards is a great opportunity to engage students in reading practice whilst encouraging student voice. Students get to recommend, read, rate and reward their favourite Australian books through the YABBA Awards.
As a 2017 YABBA Member each Victorian Primary School will get to participate in the remainder of this year’s program.
- Each Victorian Primary School will receive an A1 full colour poster depicting the top 40 Australian books as nominated by Victorian children
- Students read as many shortlisted books as possible and to begin their critical assessing in preparation for voting in Terms 3 and 4
- Students continue reading widely from the shortlist thinking about which book will get their vote
- Students reward their favourite book by voting online from 1 September
- Apply for tickets to attend the YABBA Award Ceremony being held at Hampton Park Secondary College
- Ensure all your students have voted by 20 October (End of week 2)
- Attend the YABBA Award Ceremony being held 31 October
- All schools can apply for seats at the Awards Ceremony being held at Hampton Park Secondary College through the YABBA Website
- All schools can login remotely to watch the Awards Ceremony broadcast through the Virtual Learning Platform
The Virtual Learning Coaches (VLC) will support schools to access 10 virtual online sessions connected to the YABBA program across the school year. These sessions will connect students to well-known Australian authors and illustrators, during which these experts will discuss and share their craft with students.
This will culminate in an awards ceremony day that will be broadcast to all schools via the DET Polycom Network. All teachers and schools have the ability to dial into Polycom sessions using MS Lync or Skype for Business accounts provided by DET. For technical support, contact your VLC.
In term 2 all schools will be mailed a poster of the short listed books and membership pack from YABBA. In this pack schools will receive a schedule of online author/illustrator talks with registration details.
The first virtual session is on April 27th at 9:30 am and we will have Felice Arena launching the YABBA VAP (Virtual Ambassadors Program) and the shortlisted books. Check out http://lv2vl.global2.vic.edu.au/yabba/ for more details on the 10 virtual sessions.